I dunno about you, but Bear and Scooter are pretty interested in our meat-related leftovers, and that includes fish (and some cooked veggies too)
When we moved to Portland, we were excited about the opportunity to relish in the fresh seafood, in fact, a dinner at a nice seafood dinner was how we spent our first night in town! One thing I didn’t realize until taking the pet first aid course though, is that there’s actually a salmon-related disease that we need to be aware of in our dogs here.
Called Salmon Poisoning, this is a disease that is specific to those of us who live in the Pacific North West (apparently one of the few downsides though!) Raw fish in the PNW can carry an infectious organism that causes illness in pets.
Signs of salmon poisoning include:
One thing to be aware of is the fact that this disease is slow to develop, symptoms often showing 5-7 days after ingestion. Your previous weeks’ hike or adventure may be long out of your mind by the time your dog could show symptoms of the bad fish he’s ingested.
To ensure this isn’t an issue if you live in or visit the Pacific North West, simply avoiding feeding your pets raw salmon and don’t allow dogs in the PNW to forage along the creek, river, or lakeside when you’re out adventuring together.
If you believe your dog has ingested raw fish-seek veterinary advice immediately.Disclaimer: None of this advice is intended to be anything other than helpful guidance. I am not a vet, and you should not be using any information found online in place of taking your pet into a vets office to be seen if they are sick or injured.
This post is part of a series called ‘First Aid Essentials’ that I started after becoming certified in pet first aid and CPR last year.