How many of you have had the opportunity to visit the beach with your dogs?
We never had until we moved to Oregon. Since relocating here, we’ve visited the coast several times, always with the dogs in tow. Oregon is known for it’s many dog friendly beaches, many of which are also off-leash-something our boys love! We’ve learned a lot with just a few trips under our belts, so today I’m sharing my tips for going to the beach with dogs!
1. Pack right: Make sure you have leashes, pick up bags, a few treats, and your dogs favorite toy at all times.
2. Give your pet time to adjust: Especially on a first visit, the beach and all that entails (wind, water, blowing sand, so many new smells, strangers everywhere, etc.) can be a bit overwhelming. Stick to the outskirts and let your pup relax and take it all in before moving on. The few minutes of patience will really pay off in the long run.
3. Be prepared for a little extra clean up: I’ll be honest, I live with a pomeranian, so I’m almost always prepared for a little extra clean up! We try to keep a few extra towels and our soggy doggy towel in the car to make for an easy clean up after we’ve had our fill of sun & sand.
4. Keep them leashed when appropriate: The Oregon coast varies between sand and rocky coast lines. When we’re on a sandy beach, we’re much more free with the dogs being off leash than we are on the rocky coastline. It’s so much easier to slip, get stuck in a tide pool, and just has a lot more hazards in general.
5. Bring your own water: Just as it’s not good for us, drinking sea water isn’t good for your dog either. He runs the risk of vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydrating if he consumes too much sea water, so pack your own, and offer it often and freely to your pup. We have two dog friendly water bottles and a collapsible water bowl that we always travel with. For long trips, we buy a gallon of water to keep in the car to have on hand for the boys- we’d rather have extra than not enough!
We practices these 5 simple steps each time we take our boys to the beach and we’ve always had a great time!
If your dogs’ been to a beach before- did they enjoy themselves? If they’ve never been- do you think the beach experience is one your pup would enjoy?
These photos were taken at Rockaway Beach, OR (sandy beach photos) & Yachats, OR (rocky coastline photos)